Saturday, January 8, 2011

Revival – John Fogerty



            The fifth album that I am reviewing is a John Fogerty solo album from 2007 called Revival.  I normally don’t listen to the former CCR member’s solo work but the library branch’s selection was minimal so I thought, “why not give it a try”.  Track one starts with more of a twang/country sound then I’m used to hearing from Fogerty.  Sure enough, less then 45 seconds into the track, he settles right into that classic CCR sound.  One thing that a bit different is the music tends to sound a bit pop-ier then in earlier years.  Nevertheless it was nice to get back into the old CCR groove and was a decent track to boot.  The second track made Fogerty sound like an old conservative with a “what’s happened to my old town” lament.  With lyrics like, “I think we need a gunslinger, somebody tough to tame this town.  I think we need a gunslinger, there’ll be justice all around.”, it certainly is a ringing endorsement for modern day militias and vigilante justice.  The third track is called Creedence Song.  I feel like this song, which involves various people enthusiastically demanding to hear CCR, comes off as a bit arrogant.  You were in a popular band in the 60’s/70’s.  We get it.  Also, I can’t help but feel at this point that the album sounds to perfectly produced.  Like it was recorded in a multi-million dollar recording studio with big name producers.  None of the songs seem to have his style’s characteristic grit.  Track four is titled Broken Down Cowboy which seems to be apposite given that this album has more of a country flavor.  I feel like the lyrics are trite.  Cowboy references (both real and metaphorical) have already been done by everyone from Kenny Rodgers to Bon Jovi.  Next is River is Waiting.  The lyrics have a quasi-religious feel to them and when I listen to the musical riff I can’t help but think of Three Dog Night’s Family of man.  After that, is Long Dark Night.  I really like the track from a musical standpoint.  Lyrically, however, I have to roll my eyes as Fogerty drops the archetypal Katrina reference.

            Track seven is called Summer of Love.  Sure enough, it includes a Hendrix-type guitar fuzz though the lyrics are bit too nostalgic for me.  Rather than coming off as an aged man with years of life experience behind him, he comes off as a person trapped in a previous era, desperately trying to revisit the past.  The next song is Natural Thing.  As he tires to sing by heaving his voice like Elvis, I can’t help but think how he’s not as good a writer as he used to be.  The next track is a rockabilly throwback that’s largely forgettable titled It Ain’t Right.  While Fogerty makes attempts at several different genres, he never quite pulls them off convincingly.  The next track, called I Can’t Take it no More, is once again aimed at Bush.  This time, he spit’s out the lyrics in the style of Little Richard.  The problem is, he’s no Little Richard.  Also, his lyrics tend to fall flat.  This happens when he starts going into specifics about WMD’s and Bush wanting to “stay the course”.  I feel that, in general, the more specific an artist gets about an administration or person, the weaker their lyrics sound.  I much prefer groups such as Radiohead and Pink Floyd whose lyrics discuss government and the concept of wealth and power in general.  Track eleven is in a Claptonesque blues style.  I actually happen to like this track and consider it to be one of the better ones on the album.  The last song is titled Longshot.  I enjoyed this song as well.  It was a real rocker, which is a good choice for a closer on this kind of album.  The lyrics were pleasing as well.  They describe Fogerty for what his is, a kind hearted, down to earth, honest man.  This is his greatest appeal.  Not his ability to play guitar, not his lyrical prowess, but the fact that he can connect with the average person on a primal level by writing songs that are simple but effective.  This is where his real skill shines through.  I felt that this album was okay in general.  It wasn’t great, but it wasn’t terrible either.  I wouldn’t rush out to add it to my collection, and it certainly push any boundaries, but it does have a few good cuts on it.  And in the end, that’s what you can expect from Fogerty.  
                        

No comments:

Post a Comment