Monday, March 21, 2011

Moon Safari – Air


            
            For my review, I decided to listen to Air’s 1998 classic, Moon Safari.  Air is a French electronic band (although in reality the primary core consists of power duo Jean-Benoit Dunckel and Nicolas Godin ala Steely Dan).  I have heard their music before and found it to be quite enjoyable, however I wanted to listen to this their first full length and highest acclaimed album.

            The first track begins with a slow fade in that gives way to the smooth mellow soundscape one might expect from an album titled Moon Safari.  This piece is minimal to some extent.  Rather then the typical writing style, which relies on a hook or catchy melody, this music is built from bringing different pieces together to form a texture that changes over time.  After the last couple of albums I have reviewed, it was nice to hear this different writing style being used.  By contrast, the second song starts off with a synth riff.  This heavier sounding track also has vocals where the first did not.  The verses are in French but the refrain (sexy boy) is in English.  Also, there is a nice jazzy keyboard solo.  The third track is a slower ballad with guest vocals by Beth Hirsch.  I would defiantly say the listener needs to be in a certain mood to fully appreciate this style of music.  It is much slower, more relaxed, and atmospheric.  I wouldn’t call it ambient music, but it is a softer electronica.  As I reflect on when this album was released, I realize it was the same year everyone from R.E.M. to Madonna was working on electronica experimentations of their own.  Four is a more up-tempo piece if you could call it that.  They start by setting up a great groove and then adding in multiple parts (which of course all sound fantastic together).  Again, I love the minimalism of taking a simple progression and then slowly building upon it (the multiple-octave piano arpeggios were pleasing as well).  Track five has a much darker, slower, brooding sound to it.  The live strings that are later added give a nice contrast between electronic and acoustic instruments used in the piece. 

            Track six starts off with a nice vocoder line.  Just as some songs are minimal sonically, in this track the text is minimal consisting of just a single line in English and one in French.  This song sounds a lot like an ELO throwback from the 70s so of course, it’s one of my favorites.  It is quite mainstream in it’s sound and the closest thing to a single that I’ve heard from this band.  Unfortunately, it is also the shortest track on the album.  Number seven sees Beth Hirsch return on vocals.  As I listen to her sing the all-English text to this slower ballad, I can’t help but be reminded of late Madonna.  I particularly like the string instruments, which come in during the bridge.  Track eight sounds like single material as well.  With a Burt Bacharach horn sound and a smooth bass line, the retro nature of this track is quite apparent.  This softer, throwback sound isn’t necessarily a negative as I find myself enjoying yet another well-executed track.  Song nine starts off with a nice blend of acoustic guitar and electric keyboard.  This group defiantly has a knack for successfully combining the acoustic with the electronic (for example using live piano over a digital soundscape)!  I also enjoyed the use of candid children’s voices talking, laughing, etc.  This kind of experimentation with all different types of sounds reminds me of the approach of rock bands from the 70s.  Track ten is the final track and as such acts as a decent closer.  Not only does it sum up the entire album in a way; the band proves that they’re not quite finished, providing excellent, bluesy, solos over the chord progressions. 

            I thoroughly enjoyed this album and can’t wait to buy a copy for myself (I rented it from the library)!  To fully appreciate Moon Safari, the listener does need to be in the right state of mind.  It is a slower more relaxed listen.  While some songs are more accessible, others are slower and take more time to unfold.  For the primed listener, the album can be immensely rewarding.  The way in which this band balances old and new, acoustic and electronic, slow ballad and up-tempo pop is simply astounding.                      

No comments:

Post a Comment